Welcome

A (hopefully) thought-provoking blog about surfing and the sea which has been on holiday to Wavedreamer but has now returned. Please go there for old posts. I'm also a contributor to The Inertia and tweet @aPhilosurfer.

Friday 30 January 2015

Morning of the Migraine?

For the last 20 years, my migraines have taken the form of floating patches of distorted vision surrounded by flashing lights lasting about half an hour, followed by what feels like a hangover. Until recently I had always regarded them as a negative, disruptive and tiresome aspect of my life as I have to stop using a screen,  reading or driving.

However, my last migraine happened while I was surfing in Brighton (well,  Shoreham actually) and as I was racing along the perfect shoulder-high wave,  the cold winter sun glinting off the spray of the lip, I actually found the distorting effects of the migraine enhancing my experience. I was stoked. 

If it hadn't been for the brown soupy water, the looming power station chimney and smell of the local sewage works, I could have been Nat Young in the classic psychedelic 1971 Australian surf film Morning of the Earth. It was awesome, dude. 

I'm not wishing to downplay the negative impact of migraines on sufferers - some of my friends are laid low by them for days. I'm just glad I've found a positive aspect of mine, at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Let others know.